Thomas Manning, who lost part of his penis after being diagnosed with penile cancer, was the first to receive the transplant.The 64-year-old shed a tear as he spoke to reporters after being discharged from Massachusetts General Hospital on Wednesday.
Speaking to press as he left the hospital, he shed a tear, recalling taking off the bandages for the first time.“It took me a few days to look at it, so confidence comes and goes,” he said. “It’s one of those things that, if you look at it, it doesn’t look too good.”He says he hasn’t felt any pain from the surgery, and that it had suddenly dawned on him that he was the first in the US to receive the surgery.“I didn’t think too much of it, and then it hit me that I was the only one,” he said. “That’s when it hit me”. He is the first person in the US, and the third person in the world to receive a penis transplant.
Doctors at Johns Hopkins Hospital last year announced that they intended to go ahead with the groundbreaking surgery soon. The plan was for the surgery to be offered to around 60 veterans who have been the victim of combat injuries, it could eventually be opened up to trans men, or men with birth defects.