Several days later after President Trump signed a memo barring transgender people to enlist in the military, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis informed Tuesday that transgender troops in the military would be allowed to continue serving pending the study’s results.
“Since the panel informs its recommendations anafter my consultation with the secretary of Homeland Security, I will accord my suggestion to the president relatively implementation of his policy direction,” said Mattis on Tuesday.
“In the meanwhile, current policy in respect of currently serving members will stay up.”
Last month Trump published in Twitter that he would clamp down transgender military service that was lifted in 2016, when Barack Obama was a President.
“After conversation with my military experts and generals, please take in account that the United States Government will not accept or allow transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military,” Trump posted.
“Our military must come to a focus on convincing and overwhelmed victory and cannot be obliged by the tremendous medical costs and disruption that can entail transgender in the military”, said Tramp.
The Rand Corp research commissioned last year has shown that, there are between 1,320 and 1,600 transgender people are serving in the U.S. military.